John McCauley Publications
- Barr, IG; Russell, C; Besselaar, TG; Cox, NJ; Daniels, RS; Donis, R; Engelhardt, OG; Grohmann, G; Itamura, S; Kelso, A; McCauley, J; Odagiri, T; Schultz-Cherry, S; Shu, Y; Smith, D; Tashiro, M; Wang, D; Webby, R; Xu, X; Ye, Z and Zhang, W (2014)
WHO recommendations for the viruses used in the 2013-2014 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine: Epidemiology, antigenic and genetic characteristics of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, A(H3N2) and B influenza viruses collected from October 2012 to January 2013.
Vaccine 32, 4713-4725 PubMed abstract
- Bedford, T; Suchard, MA; Lemey, P; Dudas, G; Gregory, V; Hay, AJ; McCauley, JW; Russell, CA; Smith, DJ and Rambaut, A (2014)
Integrating influenza antigenic dynamics with molecular evolution.
eLife 3, e01914 PubMed abstract
- Broberg, E; Pereyaslov, D; Struelens, M; Palm, D; Meijer, A; Ellis, J; Zambon, M; McCauley, J and Daniels, R (2014)
Laboratory preparedness in EU/EEA countries for detection of novel avian influenza A(H7N9) virus, May 2013.
Euro Surveillance 19, 20682 PubMed abstract
- Escuret, V; Collins, PJ; Casalegno, J-S; Vachieri, SG; Cattle, N; Ferraris, O; Sabatier, M; Frobert, E; Caro, V; Skehel, JJ; Gamblin, S; Valla, F; Valette, M; Ottmann, M; McCauley, JW; Daniels, RS and Lina, B (2014)
A novel I221L substitution in neuraminidase confers high-level resistance to oseltamivir in influenza B viruses.
Journal of Infectious Diseases 210, 1260-1269 PubMed abstract
- Gonzalez, G; Marshall, JF; Morrell, J; Robb, D; McCauley, JW; Perez, DR; Parrish, CR and Murcia, PR (2014)
Infection and pathogenesis of canine, equine and human influenza viruses in canine tracheas.
Journal of Virology 88, 9208-9219 PubMed abstract
- Hussain, S; Miller, JL; Harvey, DJ; Gu, Y; Rosenthal, PB; Zitzmann, N and McCauley, JW (2014)
Strain-specific antiviral activity of iminosugars against human influenza A viruses.
Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy [Epub ahead of print] PubMed abstract
- Iqbal, M; Reddy, KB; Brookes, SM; Essen, SC; Brown, IH and McCauley, JW (2014)
Virus pathotype and deep sequencing of the HA gene of a low pathogenicity H7N1 avian influenza virus causing mortality in turkeys.
PLOS ONE 9, e87076 PubMed abstract
- Le, TT; Adamiak, B; Benton, DJ; Johnson, CJ; Sharma, S; Fenton, R; McCauley, JW; Iqbal, M and Cass, AEG (2014)
Aptamer-based biosensors for the rapid visual detection of flu viruses.
Chemical Communications 50, 15533-15536 PubMed abstract
- Puzelli, S; Rossini, G; Facchini, M; Vaccari, G; Di Trani, L; Di Martino, A; Gaibani, P; Vocale, C; Cattoli, G; Bennett, M; McCauley, JW; Rezza, G; Moro, ML; Rangoni, R; Finarelli, AC; Landini, MP; Castrucci, MR; Donatelli, I and Influenza Task Force (2014)
Human infection with highly pathogenic A(H7N7) avian influenza virus, Italy, 2013.
Emerging Infectious Diseases 20, 1745-1749 PubMed abstract
- Rash, A; Woodward, A; Bryant, N; McCauley, J and Elton, D (2014)
An efficient genome sequencing method for equine influenza [H3N8] virus reveals a new polymorphism in the PA-X protein.
Virology Journal 11, 159 PubMed abstract
- Streicher, H; Martin, SR; Coombs, PJ; McCauley, J; Neill-Hall, D and Stanley, M (2014)
A phospha-oseltamivir-biotin conjugate as a strong and selective adhesive for the influenza virus.
Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 24, 1805-1807 PubMed abstract
- Vachieri, SG; Xiong, X; Collins, PJ; Walker, PA; Martin, SR; Haire, LF; Zhang, Y; McCauley, JW; Gamblin, SJ and Skehel, JJ (2014)
Receptor binding by H10 influenza viruses.
Nature 511, 475-477 PubMed abstract
- Woodward, AL; Rash, AS; Blinman, D; Bowman, S; Chambers, TM; Daly, JM; Damiani, A; Joseph, S; Lewis, N; McCauley, JW; Medcalf, L; Mumford, J; Newton, JR; Tiwari, A; Bryant, NA and Elton, DM (2014)
Development of a surveillance scheme for equine influenza in the UK and characterisation of viruses isolated in Europe, Dubai and the USA from 2010-2012.
Veterinary Microbiology 169, 113-127 PubMed abstract
- Xiong, X; McCauley, JW and Steinhauer, DA (2014)
Receptor binding properties of the influenza virus hemagglutinin as a determinant of host range.
Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 385, 63-91 PubMed abstract
- Xiong, X; Xiao, H; Martin, SR; Coombs, PJ; Liu, J; Collins, PJ; Vachieri, SG; Walker, PA; Lin, YP; McCauley, JW; Gamblin, SJ and Skehel, JJ (2014)
Enhanced human receptor binding by H5 haemagglutinins.
Virology 456-457, 179-187 PubMed abstract
- Iqbal, M; Yaqub, T; Mukhtar, N; Shabbir, MZ and McCauley, JW (2013)
Infectivity and transmissibility of H9N2 avian influenza virus in chickens and wild terrestrial birds.
Veterinary Research 44, 100 PubMed abstract
- Marín, MJ; Rashid, A; Rejzek, M; Fairhurst, SA; Wharton, SA; Martin, SR; McCauley, JW; Wileman, T; Field, RA and Russell, DA (2013)
Glyconanoparticles for the plasmonic detection and discrimination between human and avian influenza virus.
Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 11, 7101-7107 PubMed abstract
- Reis, AL and McCauley, JW (2013)
The influenza virus protein PB1-F2 interacts with IKKβ and modulates NF-κB signalling.
PLOS ONE 8, e63852 PubMed abstract
- Xiong, X; Coombs, PJ; Martin, SR; Liu, J; Xiao, H; McCauley, JW; Locher, K; Walker, PA; Collins, PJ; Kawaoka, Y; Skehel, JJ and Gamblin, SJ (2013)
Receptor binding by a ferret-transmissible H5 avian influenza virus.
Nature 497, 392-396 PubMed abstract
- Xiong, X; Martin, SR; Haire, LF; Wharton, SA; Daniels, RS; Bennett, MS; McCauley, JW; Collins, PJ; Walker, PA; Skehel, JJ and Gamblin, SJ (2013)
Receptor binding by an H7N9 influenza virus from humans.
Nature 499, 496-499 PubMed abstract
- Zhang, X-S; De Angelis, D; White, PJ; Charlett, A; Pebody, RG and McCauley, J (2013)
Co-circulation of influenza A virus strains and emergence of pandemic via reassortment: the role of cross-immunity.
Epidemics 5, 20-33 PubMed abstract
- Iqbal, M; Essen, SC; Xiao, H; Brookes, SM; Brown, IH and McCauley, JW (2012)
Selection of variant viruses during replication and transmission of H7N1 viruses in chickens and turkeys.
Virology 433, 282-295 PubMed abstract
- Klimov, AI; Garten, R; Russell, C; Barr, IG; Besselaar, TG; Daniels, R; Engelhardt, OG; Grohmann, G; Itamura, S; Kelso, A; McCauley, J; Odagiri, T; Smith, D; Tashiro, M; Xu, X; Webby, R; Wang, D; Ye, Z; Yuelong, S; Zhang, W and Cox, N (2012)
WHO recommendations for the viruses to be used in the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Influenza Vaccine: epidemiology, antigenic and genetic characteristics of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, A(H3N2) and B influenza viruses collected from February to September 2011.
Vaccine 30, 6461-6471 PubMed abstract
- Lin, YP; Xiong, X; Wharton, SA; Martin, SR; Coombs, PJ; Vachieri, SG; Christodoulou, E; Walker, PA; Liu, J; Skehel, JJ; Gamblin, SJ; Hay, AJ; Daniels, RS and McCauley, JW (2012)
Evolution of the receptor binding properties of the influenza A(H3N2) hemagglutinin.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 109, 21474-21479 PubMed abstract
- Lycett, SJ; Baillie, G; Coulter, E; Bhatt, S; Kellam, P; McCauley, JW; Wood, JLN; Brown, IH; Pybus, OG; Leigh Brown, AJ and Combating Swine Influenza Initiative (COSI) Consortium (2012)
Estimating reassortment rates in co-circulating Eurasian swine influenza viruses.
Journal of General Virology 93, 2326-2336 PubMed abstract
- Saenz, RA; Essen, SC; Brookes, SM; Iqbal, M; Wood, JLN; Grenfell, BT; McCauley, JW; Brown, IH and Gog, JR (2012)
Quantifying transmission of highly pathogenic and low pathogenicity H7N1 avian influenza in turkeys.
PLOS ONE 7, e45059 PubMed abstract
- Thompson, CI; Lackenby, A; Daniels, RS; McCauley, JW; Pereyaslov, D; Broberg, EK; Meijer, A and Zambon, MC (2012)
Evaluation of influenza virus antiviral susceptibility testing in Europe: Results from the first external quality assessment exercise.
Journal of Clinical Virology 56, 212-218 PubMed abstract
- Barr, IG; McCauley, J; Cox, N; Daniels, R; Engelhardt, OG; Fukuda, K; Grohmann, G; Hay, A; Kelso, A; Klimov, A; Odagiri, T; Smith, D; Russell, C; Tashiro, M; Webby, R; Wood, J; Ye, Z and Zhang, W (2010)
Epidemiological, antigenic and genetic characteristics of seasonal influenza A(H1N1), A(H3N2) and B influenza viruses: basis for the WHO recommendation on the composition of influenza vaccines for use in the 2009-2010 Northern Hemisphere season.
Vaccine 28, 1156-1167 PubMed abstract
- Gamlen, T; Richards, K; Mankouri, J; Hudson, L; McCauley, J; Harris, M and Macdonald, A (2010)
Expression of the NS3 protease of cytopathogenic BVDV results in the induction of apoptosis but does not block activation of the interferon-β promoter.
Journal of General Virology 91, 133-144 PubMed abstract
- Murcia, PR; Baillie, GJ; Daly, J; Elton, D; Jervis, C; Mumford, JA; Newton, R; Parrish, CR; Hoelzer, K; Dougan, G; Parkhill, J; Lennard, N; Ormond, D; Moule, S; Whitwham, A; McCauley, JW; McKinley, TJ; Holmes, EC; Grenfell, BT and Wood, JLN (2010)
The intra- and inter-host evolutionary dynamics of equine influenza virus.
Journal of Virology 84, 6943-6954 PubMed abstract
- Saenz, RA; Quinlivan, M; Elton, D; MacRae, S; Blunden, AS; Mumford, JA; Daly, JM; Digard, P; Cullinane, A; Grenfell, BT; McCauley, JW; Wood, JLN and Gog, JR (2010)
Dynamics of infection and pathology in influenza.
Journal of Virology 84, 3974-3983 PubMed abstract
- Thébaud, G; Chadœuf, J; Morelli, MJ; McCauley, JW and Haydon, DT (2010)
The relationship between mutation frequency and replication strategy in positive-sense single-stranded RNA viruses.
Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 277, 809-817 PubMed abstract
- Brown, IH; Capua, I; Cattoli, G; Chen, H; Cox, N; Davis, CT; Donis, RO; Fouchier, RA; Garten, R; Guan, Y; Hay, A; Kawaoka, Y; Mackenzie, J; McCauley, J; Mumford, E; Olsen, C; Perdue, ML; Russell, CA; Smith, C; Smith, D; Smith, GJ; Shu, Y; Tashiro, M; Vijaykrishna, D and Webster, R (2009)
Continuing progress towards a unified nomenclature for the highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza viruses: divergence of clade 2.2 viruses.
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 3, 59-62 PubMed abstract
- Carbain, B; Collins, PJ; Callum, L; Martin, SR; Hay, AJ; McCauley, J and Streicher, H (2009)
Efficient synthesis of highly active phospha-isosteres of the influenza neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir.
ChemMedChem 4, 335-337 PubMed abstract
- Iqbal, M; Xiao, H; Baillie, G; Warry, A; Essen, SC; Londt, B; Brookes, SM; Brown, IH and McCauley, JW (2009)
Within-host variation of avian influenza viruses.
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 364, 2739-2747 PubMed abstract
- Iqbal, M; Yaqub, T; Reddy, K and McCauley, JW (2009)
Novel genotypes of H9N2 influenza A viruses isolated from poultry in Pakistan containing NS genes similar to highly pathogenic H7N3 and H5N1 viruses.
PLOS ONE 4, e5788 PubMed abstract
[Page last updated 1 Dec 2014]
© MRC National Institute for Medical Research
The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA